Saturday, October 20, 2012

God's Kindness Leads to Repentence

Recently I have been blessed with the opportunity to serve our children at church by coming up with their lesson plans for children's ministry.  I am realizing this is a huge task and something that has to be directed by Holy Spirit. So often I feel like we just push our children to the side in pursuit to satisfy our own spiritual appetites not realizing that their spirits are crying out in need of that same nourishment.  We look at Children's Ministry as baby sitting or a place for our children to go so we won't be bothered while we try to get fed.  This is so far from the truth especially once you realize how open and hungry their hearts are for Jesus.  God loves them so much and what an amazing opportunity to show a little heart his amazing kindness in a midst of a confusing and unkind world.
My Daughter's Baptism - She has Experienced God's Kindness

This is truly my heart.  Even though I have to admit I was so focused on getting their lesson done that I was losing track of this simple fact.  In Romans 2:4 the bible says that, "Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?"  I had to stop myself and think am I showing his kindness or more concerned on Sunday about getting their lesson done and the logistics of Children's Ministry?  Isn't the goal for their hearts to receive Christ and their lives to reflect his lordship?  If we are not showing his kindness we are missing a critical element needed to advance his kingdom.  

The same goes for our homeschool.  If we are more focused on our lessons and schedules that we fail to show our children God's kindness than we are missing the highest privilege of the freedom of homeschooling our children.  Laying on guilt and shame will not get us very far with our children but leading them to Christ and having them experience his kindness will bring about a repentant heart that will result in lasting change.

Be Blessed ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments. Please when commenting do not use my children's full names. Thanks!