Wednesday, October 31, 2012

"Tell me and I forget, Teach me and I may remember, involve me & I learn"


"Tell me and I forget, Teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn" - Benjamin Franklin


I love this quote from Benjamin Franklin.  It rings so true and many of us who drive our kids from one field trip to the next know that reading something in a book does not even come close to experiencing something in real life.  This is one of the awesome privileges of home schooling.  We get to go and do and not just read about something or watch a movie about it.  It also rings true in life.  We should be involving our children in all aspects of life.  They should be involved in the managing and upkeep of the home, community service, and other activities that get them out of the role of simply being a spectator.

Last month we visited Yorktown and Jamestown during their home school weekend.  This wasn’t our first trip to Jamestown but it was our first chance to go to Yorktown.  What an awesome adventure!  The lives of the revolutionary war heroes as well as ordinary people come to life in such  incredible ways.  The children get to really experience what life was like and understand the whys and hows of the war. 
My middle daughter dressed up as a little farmer at the Yorktown Victory site. 

We even had a chance to hang out on the York River - History, Science, and Biology all in one day!
At Jamestown we learned about how the women dried their food in preparation for winter months


Below is a link to Jamestown and Yorktown.  They offer wonderful programs throughout the year.  In addition to the victory center the area itself is historic and offers tons to do.  I am looking forward to keeping this as a permanent annual field trip.


Happy Homeschooling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments. Please when commenting do not use my children's full names. Thanks!